Generally, if you are unable to perform Windows Update then the possible cause could be due to corrupt Windows Update cache file or Windows Update Service being stopped. Please follow this article KB910359 to resolve the Windows Update issue. The link for the same is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910359.
NOTE: Please turn OFF your Antivirus and Firewall for temporarily so that you can perform Windows Update. Sometimes they block the access to Windows Update site.
Some of the services may be stopped on your computer. Let us check and start the
1. Click on Start and then go to Run.
2. Type “Services.msc” (without quotes) and Click OK. Services window will open.
3. Select Automatic Updates.
4. Make sure the Startup Type, is set to Automatic and Service is started.
5. Select Cryptographic Services.
6. Make sure Startup Type, is set to Automatic and Service is started.
7. Select BACKGROUND INTELLIGENT TRANSFER SERVICE
8. Make sure Startup Type, is set to Automatic and Service is started.
9. Restart the computer.
10. Try to update Windows.
Try performing Internet Optimizing.
Please click on the link below to follow the troubleshooting steps. Though this article says it’s for Internet Explorer 6 it is also applicable for Internet Explorer 7.
Try to download the updates by restarting the computer in clean boot.
Clean boot mode helps us to troubleshoot error messages or other issues when you cannot determine the cause of the issue. We disable common startup programs, settings and drivers to eliminate possible software conflicts when you start Microsoft Windows XP.
After you follow the instructions for a clean boot, you may temporarily lose some functionality. If you restore the settings, you restore the functionality however; you may receive the original error message or experience the problematic behavior. We would be able to find the cause of the issue.
Follow the steps to restart the computer in clean boot.
1. Click Start, click Run, type ‘MSCONFIG’ (without quotes) in the Open box and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup and then clear the check boxes for
- Process System.ini File,
- Process Win.ini File and
- Load Startup Items.
You cannot clear the Use Original Boot.ini check box.
3. On the Services tab, select the ‘Hide All Microsoft Services’ check box and then click Disable All.
4. Click OK, and then click “Restart” to restart your computer.
After Windows restarts, try to download the updates.
To restart the computer back to normal mode, so that all the services are restored back, please follow the following steps.
1. Click Start, click Run, type “MSCONFIG” (without quotes) in the Open box and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, click Normal Startup and then click on Ok.
3. Restart the computer.
Article for starting the computer in clean boot mode:
If the issue persists after following the above suggestions, then please provide me with few additional information to resolve the issue:
-Are you getting any error number? If yes, please provide me with the error number
– What is the name of Antivirus and Firewall installed on the computer?
The Antivirus and Firewall may prevent the updates from being installed.
– Have you performed any troubleshooting after the issue started?
– Are you able to download any other software(s)/updates?
We need to check if the issue is with the other application also.